Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Living 3 hours at a time

So Amy and I were commenting today on how the 48hrs we've been home are now completely marked by 3 hour increments. Our friends all told us how challenging it is to feed and care for a newborn the first few weeks but until you actually experience it...well...forgetaboutit!

For example, on Sunday afternoon, while trying to put a shirt on Toby for the first time I got my butt handed to me by a 7lb alien. No joke. When he decides to go into his cannonball impersonation:
  1. It's hard not to laugh, and
  2. It's amazing how well the tactic works!
We're not sure why it works so well. I guess it must be because you do not know how much pressure to apply to get his little arms/legs to bend without hurting him.

Anyway, as I was saying, the past two days have been an adventure. On Sunday, we bundled up Toby in the hopes of bringing him home in his shiny new suit that GC gave him - but it didn't work out the way we thought it would. All I can think about is Maggie Simpson in her snowsuit.

After debating what we should do, we talk to our hospital room neighbor (who happened to be an EMT and child seat "checkout" certified as well as in a new baby class we took at the hospital in November), we managed to get Toby safely into the car and I drove home at 7mph.





Then, over the last two days, Amy and I managed to tag team Toby for his first sponge bath (which went OK for us but he wasn't too thrilled),
we slept for 3 1/2hrs last night and took him to his first pediatrician appointment. Last night, Grandma Claire (GC) and Nanni Joan were both over at our hosue last night for some grandson lovin' for a few hours as well.

All in all we've had a blast. We'll try to keep posting updates to the site but I'd be interested in knowing who is actually checking this out on a regular basis. So, if whether you're family or not, post a message and let us know!

--Ian

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"New Unit" Toby is adorable: his parents and families agree.

No secret-- our best times together are at 5:30 AM, burping, grunting (Tobs that is), and GC having her first coffee of the day while the bright morning light filters in the front windows.

luv to Tobs and congrats to I&A,

GC

Steph B said...

CONGRATS! I love the blog...and am so excited to meet your little man next month. Its only been 9 months since we were in your baptism-by-fire-with-a-newborn shoes and it has FLOWN by. Love you guys!

tim7973 said...

Keep up the great comminication.I share these comments with Shady.Ian you are just getting a little payback for all those wakeful first nights you spent with us and quite days while yo9u slept.

GT

Sarah said...

You bet I check your blog...every few hours, actually! Its the only way to get my nephew-fill here from work. Can't wait to spend more time with all of you! Thanks for all of the updates. Love, Aunt Sas.

Kim said...

Love the pics and updates. Thinking about you guys and wishing I could come by to say "hello!". Toby is adorable and I'm sure you are enjoying every 3 hour interval. Hang in there and hope to see you all again soon!!!
xoxo, kim

Anonymous said...

congrats you guys! I need to check my email more often! I will be checking in often...what a great idea!
Kelly and Chris